Post/review reading time: Appx. 3 minutes.
by A. American
Series: The Survivalist Series,
Published by Penguin Audio, Plume on October 30, 2013
Narrator: Duke Fontaine
Length: 8 hours and 41 minutes
Buy on Amazon
In Escaping Home, Morgan survives a 250-mile walk home in book one only to bug-out in book three. That sits just fine for me because there's action in movement.
Escaping Home is loaded with action both good and bad. Morgan, with the help of Thad, Danny and even Sarge, begin moving things to their new home.
Jess is stuck in the FEMA camp, basically as a prisoner. She makes a few friends in the camp but is having a tough time conforming and making some powerful enemies.
Escaping Home is book three in The Survivalist Series and the fast-paced action-packed story doesn’t disappoint as it adheres to that high level of excellence we heard in the first two audiobooks, Going Home & Surviving Home.
Morgan, Danny, Thad and Sarge all begin to realize that they have huge targets on their backs and if they want to survive, they are going to need to bugout.
If they wait too long, they’ll have to leave under fire, probably running out the back door, with nothing but what they’re wearing. If they leave now, at least they can take some things with them and go somewhere with a plan at least.
Brian’s Overall Audiobook Rating
Another well deserved Four ½ stars. Just keep going – this series maintains a high level of energy and excitement throughout and you won’t want it to end.
What? Ready to buy already? Okay:
Escaping Home: A Novel (The Survivalist Series) Storyline
Morgan: As the title implies, Escaping Home it is time to bugout. Morgan, Danny and their families must abandon their homes and find a more defensible and isolated place to live. Thad and Jeff move as well.
The DHS is making things very dangerous for those not willing to conform and Morgan has to decide to move before they are forced to evacuate empty-handed. At least now they can keep some of the provisions and preps. Will it be enough?
Sarge (Linus): Sarge, Doc, Ted and Mike are right there with Morgan every step of the way. They know what they’re going to have to do, they’re just not certain when, how and where that will take place. But they are getting ready to fight the big fight.
Jessica: Jess is in the FEMA camp. Jess desperately wants out of the camp being run by a corrupt DHS, turning it into essentially a forced labor camp.
Jessica makes a couple of good friends in the FEMA camp that become regular characters in the rest of The Survivalist Series.
Mature Subject Matter:
Violence: Absolutely, a ton of violence.
Profanity: Yes a lot of profanity.
Sex: Yes, one of the characters are rapped and another almost is.
Alcohol/drugs: A little drinking, not too bad.
Escaping Home Main Characters
*Spellings may be wrong, I’m going by audiobook only.
- Morgan Carter
- Mel Carter (Morgan’s wife)
- LeeAnn Carter (Morgan’s 15-year old daughter)
- Taylor Carter (Morgan’s 12-year old daughter)
- Ashley Carter (Little Bit) (Morgan’s 8-year old daughter)
- Thaddeus Jones (Thad)
- Jessica Reeves (Jess)
- Mary (Jess’ new friend in the FEMA camp)
- Fred (Jess’ new friend in the FEMA camp)
- Danny (Morgan’s best friend)
- Bobbie (Danny’s wife)
- Jeff Collins (Motorcycle drifter that becomes Morgan’s friend)
- Mark (Town Deputy Sheriff now in the FEMA camp)
- Linus Mitchell (Sarge)
- Ronnie (Doc) (Sarge’s crew)
- Ted (Sarge’s crew)
- Mike (Sarge’s crew)
- Captain Sheffield (Leading a local National Gaurd Unit)
- Lieutenant Bob Hines (Works for Captain Sheffield)
- Ian (Adopted Marine working comms for the National Gaurd Unit)
- Shane (In the National Gaurd Unit)
- Vance (Morgan’s friend in the National Gaurd)
Other names and mentions in book three, Escaping Home
- Kay Temple (FEMA Camp Kitchen Manager)
- Reggie (Morgan’s friend – shot dead)
- Mark Reeves (Jess’s brother)
- Howard (Morgan’s neighbor – dies from suicide)
- JoAnn Singer (Nasty FEMA team leader)
- Donna (Lady in FEMA camp)
- Chloe (Donna’s daughter in FEMA camp)
- Maggie (Lady in FEMA camp)
- Chase Fuller (Local father with sick daughter)
- Amy Fuller (Chase’s wife)
- Elizabeth Fuller (Chase and Amy’s sick daughter)
- Chris Fuller (Chase and Amy’s son)
- Calvin Long (Local group of Patriots)
- Shane Long (Calvin’s son)
- Danial (Patriot with Calvin)
- Omar (Escapee from the FEMA camp)
- Dustin Talent (Local group of Patriots)
- Cody Graves (Local group of Patriots)
- Eric (Fred’s friend on the scavaging crew)
- José (Attemped rapist on the scavaging crew)
Escaping Home Author: A. American
Escaping Home Constructive Criticism
As with all ten books in The Survivalist Series, Escaping Home is a fantastic book and story. About the only beef I can come up with for book three is the pitiful overall audiobook length. At only 8 hours and 41 minutes, it’s a tough decision to trade a full credit for a two or three day listen (For me anyway).
Escaping Home Audible Narration By Duke Fontaine